Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Technology Trends for the Experienced

I just realized that my in-laws, in their mid-to-late 70s, have quietly become the most technologically advanced people in my family.

They are long time Apple fans and swear by the Mac's ease of use. They currently own 2 Mac Books, an iMac, 2 iPods and an AirPort.

They have listened to XM radio for a couple years.

And they just picked up a Wii and a 46" 1080p Sony Bravia LCD TV with Cox HD and PVR over the holidays.

Conventional wisdom says that gadgets and the connected life are the domain of younger generations. But my in-laws are clearly in the game too.

They don't see themselves as being on the cutting edge, and are somewhat technologically challenged. But they do want modern and simple tools in their lives to stay in touch and informed.

I suspect my in-laws are not alone, and that many more people than ever in their generation are embracing modern consumer technology to enhance their lives. I would love to see some statistics on the technology uptake by the "more experienced" generation in recent years. The trend line likely points up and to the right.

No comments: