Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Fascinating: MSFT-YHOO Negotiations

I've been fascinated by the public negotiation in which Microsoft and Yahoo! have engaged over the past week. With each side maneuvering and leaking behind the scenes discussions and possible alternatives, the story is playing out in real-time like a great suspense novel. Will Microsoft get Yahoo! ? Can Yahoo! use Google to bluff their way to a higher sale price? Will Yahoo! team up with a rival (AOL?)? Will News Corp save Yahoo!'s day? or is this just a bluff too? Will there be any Yahoo! employees left when this is all over anyway?

FWIW - I'm betting MSFT ends up with Yahoo! for $35/share. It's about the mid point between MSFT's public offer of $31/shr and the $40 price MSFT was said to be looking for last year, as well as the price the Yahoo! board is said to be looking for now if MSFT were to win this.

Lots of sites have been tracking the story but I think Silicon Alley Insider has had the most current information and best analysis out there, with frequent updates.

On a side note...I find myself turning to SAI more and more for the latest Internet/Tech/Business news. I've been a big fan of Paidcontent.org for a long time, and I still read it daily, but SAI's frequent updates, quick stories, smart analysis and easy readability are winning me over.

Here's SAI's latest take on the MSFT-YHOO situation.

No comments: