Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Just Me Alone With My Thoughts

I've been doing a lot of running lately. Trying to stay in shape and generally live healthier. It also gives me a great chance to catch up some of the new music that I don't have a chance to hear at other times of the day. As I've mentioned, this to me is one of the great benefits of subscription music. I can load up whatever new music I want and off I go. I don't have to think about how much it costs or make decisions about which tracks I'm on the fence about - I just download and sync what I want.

I grabbed my Zen Micro at 6:15 this morning, turned it on, and....the dreaded "No license to play" error. Grrrrr. This is one of the great bugaboos of the MSFT Plays for Sure ecosystem that drives me crazy and never fails to raise its ugly head at the most inopportune times.

"No license to play" means the license to play the track on your device has expired and the track won't play until the license is renewed. Normally, a quick hookup and sync with the PC updates the license on the device and you are good to go. Except for me, today, after fiddling with things for 20 minutes, I could not get the error to go away. This has happened to me before, and I hate it. I'm usually running late or pressed for time and want to take my music with me. The ecosystem should just work. And I know...other ecosystems do.

So today I had to give up the Zen and run without music. The only sounds where my shoes on the pavement, my breathing, and my thoughts rattling around in my head. I'm not used to this, and it felt a little odd.

When I arrived home, my wife didn't miss a beat (no pun), offering to loan me her iPod next time I go out. And as she said, she's never had a problem syncing it. She's right. The Apple ecosystem just works.

Perhaps Microsoft knows this too.

No comments: